3.11.2011

Food + Tummy = :)

I have a new sworn enemy. The first one was the wind (read about that one by clicking here), the next one was raw chicken (see more about that one here), and now it is something much worse...

It's rice.

To any normal person, this probably doesn't make any sense. I mean, raw chicken and nasty strong wind are both worthy opponents. But rice? It's just this tiny little piece of goodness that fills you up and gives you carbs.

However, rice insults my cooking abilities each and every time I make it. In all the years that I have been cooking it, I've never been able to cook it right. Without fail, it always turns into a sticky ball and each piece of rice is a little bit hard on the inside. And it's suppose to be so easy! But I can't get it right. So frustrating.

At first I kept thinking that I was cooking it too high, but every time I put the temp as low as I possibly think I can, and I follow the package directions to the T, but EVERY TIME it turns out all wrong!

The good thing is, John isn't all that fond of rice. So most of the time I just cook meals that don't include this preposterous grain. Last night however, I gave in, because I decided to make this:



The rice turned out sticky yet again (as you can probably see in the picture), but it wasn't as hard in the middle as it usually is. The delicious flavors of the other ingredients made the sweetster and I forget all about the rude rice. It was heavenly :)

The only problem is that I have what I believe to be a cancker sore in my throat! And each day it hurts worse than the day before. It reminds me of how I felt after I got my tonsils out–stinging 24/7. I wasn't able to eat much of this delicious meal, because every swallow hurt. Especially the ones that included pineapple. :(

Sweet followers, I'm sorry I've been blogging so much about food lately. It's just that since the weather has been bad, we haven't gone out and done anything worth writing about. But we've been eating some absolutely fantastic food. And most of it is sooo easy to make. I feel inclined to share the goodness with everyone! Because food makes everyone happy right? I mean, who doesn't love having a belly full of deliciousness? So here is the recipe I promised in the last post:

Bacon & Tomato Spaghetti (courtesy of Simple & Delicious Magazine)

Prep/Total time: 25 minutes | Yield: 4 servings
  • 8 oz. uncooked spaghetti
  • 1/2 lb. thick sliced bacon strips, chopped
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 garlic cloves (I added this in to the recipe)
Cook spaghetti according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tbsp. drippings. Saute tomatoes & garlic in drippings until tender. Drain spaghetti; stir into skillet. Add the spinach, bacon, vinaigrette, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.

And walla, you get the goodness of italian garden in your own home.

And here is the recipe for the delicious meal pictured above:
(call it whatever you like)

Prep Time: 4-5 hours | Yield: about 6 servings
  • 1 pork loin (I usually get the flavored kind, last night we used one with pepper)
  • 2 cans black beans (I usually only drain one of the cans)
  • 1 cup pickle juice (just from a jar of pickles)
  • Some garlic salt (as much as you think you'll enjoy)
  • 1 package seasoned yellow rice
  • 1 can pineapple chunks
  • Sea salt
This one is super simple! Put the first four ingredients in a crockpot. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until the meat is super tender and falls apart when you cut into it (make sure the meat is no longer pink). When it's almost done, cook rice according to package directions. Put rice on plate, add the pork loin and the black beans, then put on some pineapple, and sprinkle with sea salt (if you don't have any, normal salt will do fine).

Enjoy! Let me know what you think if you decide to make one of them :)

2 comments:

Mary shaver said...

They both look yummy! Rice is definitely over rated!

Sarah Faria said...

I recommend investing in a rice cooker. You measure the water and the rice, throw them both in, press a button and wait for it to tell you it's done. It may change your life!